Protect yourself. Clean your hands often.
Wash your hands:
- Soap and water for at least 20 seconds (carry a water supply in the vehicle to facilitate washing where clean water may not be available)
- Especially after:
o Public place;
o Blowing your nose;
o Coughing or sneezing
Note: hand sanitizers may not be as effective when hands are visibly dirty or greasy.
- Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together until they are dry.
- Read the label to know how much sanitizer to use each washing. If you do not use enough, then the sanitizer will be dried up before it has killed the germs.
Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
Use hand lotion to prevent your skin from cracking.
Note: Your skin is your first line of defence against bacteria and viruses. Once it is broken, it provides a point of entry for germs to enter the body.
To protect your eyes, nose and mouth from contact with the virus
- Be especially careful to wash your hands thoroughly when you put on your contact lenses.
- Use a tissue to wipe your nose.
- Eliminate shaking hands while greeting. Attempt to keep 2 meters away from another
To protect your passengers and others even if you are not sick:
- Do not use the air-conditioning or heating system in the vehicle.
- Keep the windows open if possible.
- Minimise the number of passengers in the vehicle.
- Where possible the passenger should sit as far from you as possible
- When you sneeze or cough:
To protect from other possible sources of contamination:
- Cover your mouth and nose.
- Use a tissue or inside of your elbow.
- Throw used tissues in the trash.
- Wash your hands as soon as possible if not immediately.
- Soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Clean your hands with a hand sanitizer.
- If you wear disposable gloves, then throw them away in a rubbish bin. Do not bring them into your home.
- Wash hands with soap and water as soon as you remove any gloves.
- Wear clean clothes every day.
- For laundering clothing, including cloth gloves, towels, linens and other items:
o Do not shake dirty laundry.
o Launder items according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Use the hottest appropriate water setting, and dry items completely.
o Dirty laundry from a person who has been infected with the coronavirus can be washed with other people’s items.
o Clean and disinfect clothes hampers.