The development of a driver recruitment and selection procedure is an essential part of ensuring that employees are capable and safe drivers.
If you recruit staff to undertake work which involves driving, you need a clear strategy to integrate necessary safe driving criteria into the overall ‘person specification’ for the job.
In the attachment, you can find a checklist containing different elements of the review process:
- Check the applicant’s references are sound.
- Check the applicant’s driver’s licence is valid and ensure that the applicant holds the appropriate class of licence for the vehicles (plus trailers) you want him to drive.
- Explore the past accident or prosecution history and attitudes towards road safety in the interview.
- Assess driving competence and attitudes at the recruitment stage.
- Carry out an on-road assessment to ensure that the potential employee is compe- tent to carry out the required driving tasks.
- Test the candidate’s knowledge of the local rules of the road, or Highway Code where available.
- Check the applicant’s fitness to drive, health and eyesight.